No, porridge is not boring. It just takes a few additional ingredients and attention to get the perfect texture to turn it into a delicious dessert-like kind of breakfast.
I love playing around to pimp up my porridge. My latest obsession has been a really simple, autumnal one. What makes it seasonal is the pear and cinnamon, that brings back this cold-weather comfort food we all love, don’t we? So here’s how to make it!
For 1 bowl of porridge, you’ll need:
- the amount of oats you fancy – I use gluten-free organic jumbo oats
- 1 pear
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- your plant based-milk of choice (I use brown rice milk) – approximately the same amount as oats
- water – approximately the same amount as oats
- optional: 1 or 1/2 banana
- Pour the oats, cinnamons, chia seeds, plant-based milk and water in a pan on a low heat. Mix everything.
- While the pan heats, roughly chop up your banana & pear, saving one nice bit of pear for toppings.
- Put the chopped banana & pear in the saucepan and keep mixing with a wooden spoon while the oats drink up the liquid.
- When the mixture starts bubbling, it’s almost ready. Keep mixing until you get the desired consistency.
- Pour the porridge in a bowl and top it up with the nice bit of pear you saved earlier, a pinch of cinnamon and a splash of plant-based milk.
Let me know and tag me on Instagram if you recreate this recipe!