If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed I have a serious chickpea addiction, whether it’s hummus, roasted chickpeas or falafels. As you seem to like these photos, I thought I’d share my full falafel recipe here. It’s surprisingly easy, and seriously delicious!
For about 20 falafels, you will need:
- 2 tins of cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 big tablespoon of tahini
- 1 large handful of coriander
- 1 large handful of parsley
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves
- the juice of 1 or 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon of chickpea flour to go in the food processor
- chickpea flour to coat the falafels once set
- salt and pepper
Put everything except the chickpea flour for coating into a food processor and blend. Stop before it becomes all smooth, I personally prefer when there still are chunks of chickpeas.
Then form balls with your clean hands and place them in a plate. Put cling film onto the plate and leave it to cool and set in the fridge for an hour or even overnight.
Take them out of the fridge and preheat your oven to 180°C.
Coat the balls with chickpea flour, and put them in the oven on a baking tray. Leave them to cook for 45 minutes, turning them half way through so that both sides can get golden and crispy.
Serve with spinach, tabouleh or any greens, and with your favorite dressing (tahini, garlic and lemon works really well!).